Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Random Thoughts

Well, I’ve recovered from my dragon-related injuries, and I’m sitting in a classroom at the Los Angeles Natural History Museum. Today my son is learning about butterflies at the museum’s summer camp program. Being paranoid parents, we don’t feel comfortable leaving him, so I’m hanging out, hovering in the back of the class with my laptop. In a half hour, we’ll be going down to the Butterfly Pavilion, so I have some time to kill.

This museum is a favorite of my son. He’s been here a zillion times. I like it too because it is reminiscent of the museum I grew up with in New York. It’s a LOT smaller, for sure, but it’s not bad. Also, it is pretty old, dark and designed in a similar neo-classical style. Unfortunately, it is often pretty empty. That means less of a crowd to deal with, which is nice, but it doesn’t bode well for the future of the museum. It also does not speak well to the parents of Los Angeles. Why wouldn’t you bring your kid here? Next door there is a science museum, an IMAX theater and a small Air & Space museum. Also, a huge and largely unused Olympic stadium. Unfortunately, Exposition Park, which encompasses all of these attractions, is surrounded by a horrible neighborhood that probably keeps folks away.

Let’s see, what else…

In a previous post, I mentioned that I was reading Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser. Well, I finished it a week or two ago and I wanted to tell you all about the aftermath. First, the book is great and I highly recommend it, if you have a strong stomach. The book definitely had an effect on me. I have not turned into a vegan or anything, Let’s just say that I’ve lost weight! I’m having trouble looking at food the same way. For example, usually, when I’m hungry it is a bad idea for me to go to the supermarket. Everything looks good to me. I’m a sucker for trying new products and I will buy the junkiest food. After reading FFN, I was in a supermarket looking for something to eat around lunchtime. Actually, it was pretty late for lunch and I was starving. Instead of pulling stuff off the shelves, I walked around the store for a while, imagining the conditions at cattle ranches and slaughterhouses. I thought about strange labs and chemical plants on the New Jersey Turnpike where flavors are created for processed foods. I walked out empty handed and still hungry, if slightly nauseated. Thi shas now happened more than once.

I guess I need to get over it. I probably will. My family already eats very well. We already buy organic meats & milk products, avoiding hormones & whatever. Don’t know when I’ll ever eat another Big Mac, but I know I probably will someday. Right now, the thought is revolting to me.

Off to look at butterflies now. Maybe I’ll eat one or two when nobody’s looking.

No comments: