Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Pilgrim

I guess I blew my opportunity to link the subjects of Thanksgiving and Comics by citing my favorite Pilgrim story. I've just been swamped with work lately. I need to post a catch-up blog to write about all my goings-on. But for now, a week late, I want to write about a particular Pilgrim. That's right, I'm talking about Scott Pilgrim!



I haven't yet read volume four of Bryan Lee O'Malley's slacker-epic, Scott Pilgrim Gets it Together, But then, I haven't been to The Comic Bug in a couple of weeks. I may have to go by tomorrow, cuz I can't wait anymore. If you haven't read volumes 1-3 of Scott Pilgrim, you are seriously depriving yourself of some quality entertainment.

Actually, I was kind of hoping for a free copy in the mail. Why do I deserve one? Well, one of the things I've been busy with during the past few months has been coloring an 8-page sequence in the new book! It was the most fun I've had coloring for a lonnnnng time. A real pleasure. Made me feel like a fanboy again! Here's a sample:



Ain't it purdy? if you're familiar with Bryan's work, you'll notice that it looks quite a bit different from the art in the previous volumes. His growth and confidence as an artist is obvious. I was already an admirer of Bryan's work from his graphic novel Lost at Sea, and I've loved SP since my buddy, Mike Wellman (see The Comic Bug link, above) turned me on to the first volume last year. It's great to see an artist who you already like just get better.

You can read all about SP at Bryan's blog/website. In fact, I was just reading it earlier today. He asked readers what they would title the next installment of SP, which spawned all sorts of funny responses. I came up with this idea, which, for some reason, I find hilarious...



Maybe I just need more sleep.

READ SCOTT PILGRIM!

No comments: