Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Half-Inked Pages


This week, one of the projects I'm scrambling to finish is a short story for TOKYOPOP's Princess Ai: Encounters anthology. This story is cool because it features the cast of my own OEM, Battle of the Bands!

When inking, I find that It's a really bad idea to jump around inking bits of pages like this, but sometimes I can't help it. Especially when I'm working late nights. I keep moving by concentrating on one thing, like ruling straight lines, or inking a particular character's hair or something. The trouble is that after a while, you have a big mess and no finished pages to show for your trouble. Today I need to sit down and methodically finish pages starting from page one. I think that will make my editor happy. What do you think?

3 comments:

Allen Gladfelter said...

I'm looking at these pages (thanks for posting them, I'm always interested to see half-finished stuff, it gives me a peek at the process) and I wonder if you could say a few words about the tools you are using and the method and sequence of your use of them.

I'm working on some pages and I'm trying to build up the courage to use a brush to ink them. I have usually used a crowquill, and that's fine, but I've been feeling that they are a little stiff and I want to loosen things up and I think that using a brush could bring some much-needed spontanaety and energy to my pages. But I'm nervous, too. Maybe hearing about what you do will be inspiring?

Steve Buccellato said...

Allen, I will answer you in my next post!

Allen Gladfelter said...

What a guy!