Monday, January 08, 2007

Sunday Dinner Update

Well, dinner went fine. After about 3 hours in the kitchen, I came up with a perfectly adequate meal. Better that it looks in this photo, though not as great as I'd hoped.



The Coq Au Vin was good, and the leftovers will probably be even better. I tried a different recipe this time, but I think I like my old recipe a little better. Not sure why that is, I must compare the two side-by-side.

The roasted potatoes were kind of blah. Le big disappointment.

The big surprise was the Braised Fennel. Actually, the store didn't have any fennel, so I substituted anise. It was REALLY good. The hilight of the meal, I must say. These recipes were all from the Williams-Sonoma Savoring France cookbook. We've prepared many good things from that book (like the Boeuf aux Carottes...yummers!), but after last night I am especially enthusiastic about trying more of their vegetable recipes.

If you want the Braised Fennel recipe, let me know. I'm too lazy to type it right now. Gotta get to work anywho...

_

3 comments:

mmclaurin said...

You maka me hungry. Acrually, looking at the glass of wine, you maka me thirsty. Yum.

Allen Gladfelter said...

Sounds good, but next time try to do this with the 'taters.

Get those small red ones and cut them into 1/8th wedges. Chop up a generous amount of garlic and parsley. Put the wedges in a bowl with the garlic and parsley and put in some rosemary, some paprika, a little salt and a teaspoon or two of virgin olive oil. Mix it all up and then arrange the potato wedges with the spices clinging to them, sharp edge side up on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven at 375 degrees until the edges turn golden brown (about a half hour or so.) Oh yeah! That's how you do it!

Steve Buccellato said...

Sounds good, Allen!

As an update, I'd like to mention that I salvaged the leftover potatoes the next day by mashing them with large quantities of butter & milk, and a bit of garlic.

Yum.